05 May 2008

Nesting Mama


There is a mama cardinal sitting on a nest of four brown spotted eggs, in the bush next to the patio by my back yard gate, in the picture it is the bush on the left.
I am afraid she is regretting choosing this spot, she must have found it on a more tranquil weekday, when nobody was home and the dogs were not going in and out the gate what must seem like every couple of minutes on weekend days.
When Mama bird hears my side door open she probably thinks, oh brother, here we go again. As soon as I appear she turns her head and spies me out of her left eye (because she is always sitting on the eggs facing away from the gate) and then she flies away. Each time it is the exact same escape, she flies down between the bushes below the leaf canopy and up to the first branch in the oak tree that is directly behind the kitchen window.
I always apologize to her, sorry mama, but I'm not really sorry. I always take the opportunity to get a look at the eggs in the nest and anticipate the soon to be baby cardinals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home