26 March 2008

STAY Confused

I am trying to teach Sonny "STAY". First attempts have been met with some success.

The first time we attempted to teach and learn, we were in the doggie room where his kennel is and I have a dish full of his after school snack (his supper) and I want him to STAY. But if I want him to STAY, then Dolly must STAY also. I put the food down on his mat and hold my flat hand out, I command STAY. He tries to sneak over and Dolly tries to sneak over, but I insist, STAY. Dolly plunks her butt down and stays, looking like, man, I already know this part, why do I have to do it? But Sonny scurries back to his kennel ears down, wondering if he has done something wrong, to him my strong command voice sounds to him like he is in trouble. Several times he tries to get to his food but on my command STAY he heads back to the safety of his den, his kennel. and he STAYS.

I think, well, STAY in the kennel is STAY, that works, so I continue to hold my flat hand out repeating the command, and they both continue to STAY. I count 1-2-3.... to 10, and then with fanfare wave them to their dishes. Praise, Good dogs, good job, good sit, good STAY.

We do this several days in a row at snack time, and he is doing STAY very well, he will go to his kennel and STAY. I will count his time on STAY and he will not move until I say, Come and Get It! Food, the ultimate reward.

Then yesterday, we are in the long hallway at my house and I decide to practice STAY. Sit Sonny, STAY, Dolly hears us and comes to join us. They both sit, but only one stays. Sonny wants to STAY, but STAY, for him, means STAY in his kennel. He will sit right away but repeatedly darts away to head to his kennel to STAY. He is confused but Dolly is not. She STAYS and she STAYS, and she is so proud of herself. Learn THAT young dog, is what she must be thinking.

We have work to do, Sonny and I. Dolly will help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home